Skip to main content

My Goals - A siloliquy on a Sunday morn

Am I getting closer to my goals..... Not!
There's the rub,
for being gainly employed,
what goals do you hope to achieve?
How wonderful it is, I imagine to have a goal in life
And finding yourself coming closer
to achieving it as each day goes by.
How good it must feel that you wake up in the morning
and you cross yesterday as another rung you have climbed
on your way up the ladder,
bringing you closer to that which you yearn.
What is my goal in life? I know not.
To be wealthy, perhaps... but, that is not a goal.
That is just a dream.
And, like dreams, it dissipates the moment you awake
and join the other goalless men on the highway of life.
Dashing through another day of busying oneself,
more often than not to please others,
your boss, your investors, you financiers..... least of all yourself.
The pleasing of others, a habit so ingrained in me,
that I have become nothing more than a mongrel,
that longs only for a compliment or a pat on the back,
an acknowledgement of my efforts.
A reward bestowed because I have pleased someone.....
Woe is me.
Is there a chance for me? Is it too late in life
for to establish a goal?
And having done so, proceed to achieve it
in whatever remains of my life?
O, how oft at the point of death, do we only seek that we have missed
But, .... I declare now that I have one.
And that is I will finish my first novel
before this year's end....
Easily achieved maybe, no challenge you might say...
but I'll just stick with this one simple task,
At my age, I want not to invite too much pressure upon myself
For, I may not survive the heartache and thousand natural shocks
This weary flesh is heir to.
I've had too much pleasure....
And I will begin...
tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow.....

Ah... A malay, a malay...wherefore art thou a Malay....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A letter from my mother

Today, on the first day of Ramadhan in the 52nd year of my life, while I was rummaging through some old stuff, I came across a letter written to me by my mother, folded and enveloped into a prescription drug package. My mother taught herself to write in Rumi, so some words are quite difficult to figure out. She was probably more comfortable writing in Jawi, but she knew her son is useless at reading it. The letter was not dated, but I would say it was written circa 1985, the year that I dropped out of UTM. The letter was an angry letter, as angry as my dearest mother would be. I cannot remember the occasion that warranted such letter, but I think I must have said something that hurt her. She wrote that I should have told her or father (unlikely) or my brothers and sisters that I am having difficulties in my studies. She wrote that I have ostracized myself from my family, and she understood that I did this because I do not want to be any more a burden to my parents and my sibli

Humanity: from the lucid mind of a Covid19 infested person.

 Hello... It's me, again. I don't know how anybody is going to read this, because I have deactivated my Facebook account... my Instagram too. It's interesting to see people's reactions when I told them this. Mostly, it's a sharp intake of breath and a sympathetic "why".  I guess they assumed I was cyberbullied into deactivation. No... It was a mistake. I should never have even registered for any socmed (social media for those uninitiated). I hate it, people sharing their lives, what they eat and drink and where they were eating and drinking, how far they have walked or run or cycled, with whom they are doing things, who they met today or yesterday, where they are now in the world, what their cute babies or cats are doing, what plants they are planting, what fruits they have harvested... I don't really want to know about what you guys are doing with your lives unless I am responsible (partly) for bringing you into this horrible place. For that, my child

I love/hate MCO

The vaccines are here... spelling the beginning of the end of Covid19... or at least we hope so. But, it is really just hope upon hope. Because, as vaccines are being spread (by health workers) in most parts of the world, we still hear of lockdowns happening here and there. And the virus is mutating. New strains are being discovered, having higher infectivity. I guess Covid wants to live just like any other living creature. My employer has announced that beginning this month (April 2021) everybody must come to work in the office. No more working from home. Which is OK. I mean (in case my boss reads this blog) I love my job but dread going through the traffic jams in the morning and then again in the evening. I miss the easy smooth drive to and from work during the MCO when I had to come to the office to sign some physical documents, but even during the CMCO and RMCO, when we are allowed to move around a bit more, the traffic build-up at roadblocks gave me a glimpse of things to come wh