Skip to main content

When's the Season Gonna End?



Let's count the curses (as opposed to blessings) on why Liverpool Football Club is where it is this season.

1) Steven Gerrard has been off form. He's been a passenger, probably having the world cup on his mind and he's afraid to get injured, and not be able to travel to South Africa in June.

2) Xabi Alonso absence. The position and influence of Alonso have yet to be filled. Lucas is good but having to play in that position has inevitably brought out comparisons between him and Alonso. Alonso himself only shone after the Gareth Barry fiasco, which I blame Benitez for. Rafa could have handled the situation more subtly.

3)Rafael Benitez is not that creative. At the begining of this season, Sir Alex Ferguson predicted that Liverpool will not be a threat because "we already know how Liverpool play." Rafa in response said something like, this is football, there are only so many ways to play football....

4) Bad management. Hicks and Gillette should take the blame, too, although there is no direct connection between what happens in the boardroom and on the field. But, it adds to the feeling of security and subsequently, in confidence to the players. It helps to know the owner actually knows how football are played. That's why it's called football! You not supposed to use your hands (I don't know what we should call the game they play in the US where you are supposed to carry the ball to the touch line in order to score...duh!).

Lastly...

5) Bad fengshui. Liverpool's collection of silverware increased only marginally after they change the shirt sponsor to Carlsberg. Well, not so bad actually, one Champions League, one Uefa Cup, two FA Cups and three League Cups.... but, no Premiear League Title. In fact, of the so called big four, only Liverpool haven't won it. Even Blackburn Rovers won it once (94-95 season).

The solution:

1) Steven Gerrard needs a rest... maybe that's what he's been trying to do when he showed a "V" at Wigan to the refree and then ran the length of the pitch to elbow Michael Brown in the head during the Portsmouth game.

2) Give Aquilani more play time. He maybe lightweight, but he's shown enough to tell us that he's got the skills... just needs more time in the EPL environment. Besides we paid a lot of money for him... use him for heaven sake!

3) Rafael Benitez (actually, I like him) will have to go. Get the Special One.... Mourinho never won the Champions League with Chelsea, but he knows how to win the EPL. But, maybe he has learned enough during his stint with Inter.

4) Hicks and Gillette will have to go, too. Get some people who really knows and understand the significance of "Real Football" to the world to manage the club. The people who can actually appreciate the more than a century old traditions that's connected to clubs like Liverpool. People like the fans.... and maybe a couple of Arabs with spare change.

5) At least, something is done about the shirt sponsor. I truly believe that Standard Chartered will bring properous change to Anfield and also to Stanley Park where the new stadium will be built... Who knows, we may be calling it the StanChart Stadium.

OK. The season's over for me. I hope LFC can somehow, get to the fourth place, although, I am skeptical. Even, if we had won the game at Old Trafford, it is meaningless if we can't win against the likes of Wigan or Wolves or Stoke.... at home or away. It's a season of shame for me... Portsmouth, a club in a myriad of trouble, only won 6 times this season, and Liverpool was one of the those who lost at Fratton Park.... That's shameful for a Club of Liverpool's stature...

This season can't end fast enough......

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A letter from my mother

Today, on the first day of Ramadhan in the 52nd year of my life, while I was rummaging through some old stuff, I came across a letter written to me by my mother, folded and enveloped into a prescription drug package. My mother taught herself to write in Rumi, so some words are quite difficult to figure out. She was probably more comfortable writing in Jawi, but she knew her son is useless at reading it. The letter was not dated, but I would say it was written circa 1985, the year that I dropped out of UTM. The letter was an angry letter, as angry as my dearest mother would be. I cannot remember the occasion that warranted such letter, but I think I must have said something that hurt her. She wrote that I should have told her or father (unlikely) or my brothers and sisters that I am having difficulties in my studies. She wrote that I have ostracized myself from my family, and she understood that I did this because I do not want to be any more a burden to my parents and my sibli

Humanity: from the lucid mind of a Covid19 infested person.

 Hello... It's me, again. I don't know how anybody is going to read this, because I have deactivated my Facebook account... my Instagram too. It's interesting to see people's reactions when I told them this. Mostly, it's a sharp intake of breath and a sympathetic "why".  I guess they assumed I was cyberbullied into deactivation. No... It was a mistake. I should never have even registered for any socmed (social media for those uninitiated). I hate it, people sharing their lives, what they eat and drink and where they were eating and drinking, how far they have walked or run or cycled, with whom they are doing things, who they met today or yesterday, where they are now in the world, what their cute babies or cats are doing, what plants they are planting, what fruits they have harvested... I don't really want to know about what you guys are doing with your lives unless I am responsible (partly) for bringing you into this horrible place. For that, my child

I love/hate MCO

The vaccines are here... spelling the beginning of the end of Covid19... or at least we hope so. But, it is really just hope upon hope. Because, as vaccines are being spread (by health workers) in most parts of the world, we still hear of lockdowns happening here and there. And the virus is mutating. New strains are being discovered, having higher infectivity. I guess Covid wants to live just like any other living creature. My employer has announced that beginning this month (April 2021) everybody must come to work in the office. No more working from home. Which is OK. I mean (in case my boss reads this blog) I love my job but dread going through the traffic jams in the morning and then again in the evening. I miss the easy smooth drive to and from work during the MCO when I had to come to the office to sign some physical documents, but even during the CMCO and RMCO, when we are allowed to move around a bit more, the traffic build-up at roadblocks gave me a glimpse of things to come wh