Skip to main content

Acting My Age

I went to Singapore, for a convention last week.  My colleagues and I got there a day earlier and we went to visit the Universal Studios theme park, on Sentosa Island.

Apart from the 15 to 50 minutes wait to get on a less than a minute ride, I love it and I plan to start saving to bring my family in the future. I especially like the roller coasters. The Transformer ride is the most awesome. Yes, "awesome" was the only word I can describe the experience, but having said the word in my mind, I refrain myself from using that word when describing the ride to other people.

Thanks to my colleague, I was brought down to earth, when he asked me in a incredulous manner, "why?" when I told him that I wanted to go on the Battlestar Galactica Roller Coaster.

It caused me to hesitate. I walked around the area for quite a bit, looking at the duelling roller coasters (the ride actually consists of two separate tracks, one for humans, one for cylons). After a while, I decided that I must do it, while I can.... and besides, I did not pay RM150 (non peak season price) to just go see the sights. I walked towards the entrance, but the girl with the scanner stopped me when the device beeped furiously. Sorry, sir you have to empty your pockets, you can put them in the lockers over there. Ah, another obstacle, maybe it is fated that I am not to take this train. As I turn the corner towards the lockers, I told my friend what the girl said, and he extended one of his shopping bags for me to put my stuff in. Go for it, man, he said.  I dropped my belongings in the bag and walked up the long path to the turnstiles to get on the ride.

As this is a non peak season, the only other people waiting for our turn were two teenagers and 3 little girls who was running around to get to the best seats at the very front. When the crew asked how many in my party, I apologetically point to my chest and then hold up the same finger to tell him, I am alone.

The ride was great, but how weird I must look in the eyes of the young crew operating the ride, that this old man is riding this thrill rides. They are probably thinking.... Maybe he is dying.... and he wants to do all the things he couldn't do when he was young before he dies. Poor old man, thought the young man who ushered me on to my seat. I am sure he glanced at the Automated External Defibrillator just as he was securing me in my seat.

I only rode the "Human" part of the ride, but as I am writing this I regretted I did not try the "Cylon" ride, too.

********************************

Back home, I have been looking in the mirror a lot lately and wonder if I should change my wardrobe. I am most comfortable wearing jeans and t-shirt (round neck and worn-out), now I wonder if people around me see me like one of those old rockers who don't know they are old, walking about with their bellies spilling over the top of their faded blue jeans. Maybe, I should buy more slacks and batik shirts. MAybe, I should stop playing Angry Bird or Temple Run or Fruit Ninja on my phone. Or, maybe I should stop hanging out with these younger people (my EMBA friends) and start joining the pensioners teh tarik sessions to which I was once invited (by my neighbor) but declined.

One of my MBA classmates, on my birthday, posted on my wall "48? I thought you were 38?". I know she meant it to be a compliment (thanks, Jee), but I am beginning to wonder, maybe I should start acting my age. ... just as soon as I know how a 48 year old man is supposed to act.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A letter from my mother

Today, on the first day of Ramadhan in the 52nd year of my life, while I was rummaging through some old stuff, I came across a letter written to me by my mother, folded and enveloped into a prescription drug package. My mother taught herself to write in Rumi, so some words are quite difficult to figure out. She was probably more comfortable writing in Jawi, but she knew her son is useless at reading it. The letter was not dated, but I would say it was written circa 1985, the year that I dropped out of UTM. The letter was an angry letter, as angry as my dearest mother would be. I cannot remember the occasion that warranted such letter, but I think I must have said something that hurt her. She wrote that I should have told her or father (unlikely) or my brothers and sisters that I am having difficulties in my studies. She wrote that I have ostracized myself from my family, and she understood that I did this because I do not want to be any more a burden to my parents and my sibli

Humanity: from the lucid mind of a Covid19 infested person.

 Hello... It's me, again. I don't know how anybody is going to read this, because I have deactivated my Facebook account... my Instagram too. It's interesting to see people's reactions when I told them this. Mostly, it's a sharp intake of breath and a sympathetic "why".  I guess they assumed I was cyberbullied into deactivation. No... It was a mistake. I should never have even registered for any socmed (social media for those uninitiated). I hate it, people sharing their lives, what they eat and drink and where they were eating and drinking, how far they have walked or run or cycled, with whom they are doing things, who they met today or yesterday, where they are now in the world, what their cute babies or cats are doing, what plants they are planting, what fruits they have harvested... I don't really want to know about what you guys are doing with your lives unless I am responsible (partly) for bringing you into this horrible place. For that, my child

I love/hate MCO

The vaccines are here... spelling the beginning of the end of Covid19... or at least we hope so. But, it is really just hope upon hope. Because, as vaccines are being spread (by health workers) in most parts of the world, we still hear of lockdowns happening here and there. And the virus is mutating. New strains are being discovered, having higher infectivity. I guess Covid wants to live just like any other living creature. My employer has announced that beginning this month (April 2021) everybody must come to work in the office. No more working from home. Which is OK. I mean (in case my boss reads this blog) I love my job but dread going through the traffic jams in the morning and then again in the evening. I miss the easy smooth drive to and from work during the MCO when I had to come to the office to sign some physical documents, but even during the CMCO and RMCO, when we are allowed to move around a bit more, the traffic build-up at roadblocks gave me a glimpse of things to come wh