Skip to main content

S.O.S: Save Our Selves


We (my wife and I) went to Carrefour yesterday. It seems that all my effort to teach people to say the name correctly, has proven to be futile. Carrefour is pronounced like this: Car (kereta) Foo. That's how the french said it and it means junction... simpang. Maybe, the first Carrefour was built near a junction.... Anyway, here in Malaysia, we all call it Care For and the Carrefour management just use this and add the slogan, we Care For you...

But, what I want to talk about is that yesterday was "no plastic bag" day, and I see quite a few people carrying green colored bags, given away free by Carrefour. These bags are made of bio-degradable material (I presume), and surprisingly strong, since it could hold 6 of those 1 liter milk cartons, 4 tins of condensed milk and 4 tins of Campbell's cream of mushroom soup (my young son loves them).

As I push the trolley, doggedly following my wife up and down the aisles, I suddenly remembered a quote by somebody, that we do not need to save the earth, what we need to do is save ourselves.

That's the most inconvenient truth of all. The earth do not need us, we need the earth. We need the environment, the environment do not need us. If we are too much of a bother to the earth, well, earth will just adjust itself here and there and a few thousand of us will perish. Earth has been kind to us, considering. With a few quakes of the tectonic plates, we will all go the way of the dinosaurs.

Then, a new species will arise, and take dominance of earth, until this new species, too, becomes forgetful and greedy and start consuming more that their basic requirement.

Our earth has been around for billions of years and it will probably be around for another billion more. So, the question that we must ask ourselves is, how long we want to live on this earth. Polluting our environment only decreases the source of our consumption. Maybe we can rear fish and chicken and cows for us to eat, but we need to source for the food for our source of food. We need to plant more grains so that we can have enough for us and these animals.

So, the requirement grows. To make it worst, we keep on multiplying, more babies are born and more people live longer.

That's what we are. We are consumers, and we consume. We cut down trees, to make our houses, and our houses need electricity and so we dig deep into our earth to suck out oil and dig out coal to power our generators. We buy cars and drive them everywhere and we complain about traffic jams, spewing out all sorts of gases into the atmosphere, creating a green house effect and global warming.

Then, the ice caps melt, creating havoc to our weather, then the glaciers start to melt, too, raising sea levels, flooding coastlines and drowning islands.

Whatever we do to "save the environment" is really an effort to save our own existence.

But, whatever it is, our time on earth is coming to an end. There's just too many of us, and there are just not enough resources to sustain everybody.....

So, what the point of using these new green bags? We'll it look good, and it does have a "I'm doing something about it" feeling. Not a bad feeling at all... :-)




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A letter from my mother

Today, on the first day of Ramadhan in the 52nd year of my life, while I was rummaging through some old stuff, I came across a letter written to me by my mother, folded and enveloped into a prescription drug package. My mother taught herself to write in Rumi, so some words are quite difficult to figure out. She was probably more comfortable writing in Jawi, but she knew her son is useless at reading it. The letter was not dated, but I would say it was written circa 1985, the year that I dropped out of UTM. The letter was an angry letter, as angry as my dearest mother would be. I cannot remember the occasion that warranted such letter, but I think I must have said something that hurt her. She wrote that I should have told her or father (unlikely) or my brothers and sisters that I am having difficulties in my studies. She wrote that I have ostracized myself from my family, and she understood that I did this because I do not want to be any more a burden to my parents and my sibli

Humanity: from the lucid mind of a Covid19 infested person.

 Hello... It's me, again. I don't know how anybody is going to read this, because I have deactivated my Facebook account... my Instagram too. It's interesting to see people's reactions when I told them this. Mostly, it's a sharp intake of breath and a sympathetic "why".  I guess they assumed I was cyberbullied into deactivation. No... It was a mistake. I should never have even registered for any socmed (social media for those uninitiated). I hate it, people sharing their lives, what they eat and drink and where they were eating and drinking, how far they have walked or run or cycled, with whom they are doing things, who they met today or yesterday, where they are now in the world, what their cute babies or cats are doing, what plants they are planting, what fruits they have harvested... I don't really want to know about what you guys are doing with your lives unless I am responsible (partly) for bringing you into this horrible place. For that, my child

I love/hate MCO

The vaccines are here... spelling the beginning of the end of Covid19... or at least we hope so. But, it is really just hope upon hope. Because, as vaccines are being spread (by health workers) in most parts of the world, we still hear of lockdowns happening here and there. And the virus is mutating. New strains are being discovered, having higher infectivity. I guess Covid wants to live just like any other living creature. My employer has announced that beginning this month (April 2021) everybody must come to work in the office. No more working from home. Which is OK. I mean (in case my boss reads this blog) I love my job but dread going through the traffic jams in the morning and then again in the evening. I miss the easy smooth drive to and from work during the MCO when I had to come to the office to sign some physical documents, but even during the CMCO and RMCO, when we are allowed to move around a bit more, the traffic build-up at roadblocks gave me a glimpse of things to come wh