Skip to main content

Kota Kinabalu ..... It takes a hold on you....


Eric, the 22 year old driver who drove us up from KK to Kampong Luanti, in Ranau, suggested that Kinabalu really originates from the Kadazandusun word "Aki Nabalu" which means "Revered Resting Place". And, that the story of the chinese (Kina) widow (Balu) were made up just so people do not associate the capital of Sabah to death.

Interesting, and I think that appealed to me more than the tale of the abandoned wife of a Chinese Prince, who climbed up to peak to wait (and eventually died there) for her husband who went back to China and never returned.

Anyway, this was the third day of our vacation to The Land Below the Wind. We arrived on a Wednesday and was greeted by Halim. our chauffeur for the day. He brought us around KK but, since my wife and I are quite familiar with the town, we only went to the floating mosque.....
because it wasn't there when I was posted here for three months in 1994, and the Sabah Foundation Building or Menara Tun Mustapha.......
because we never went there when I was here in 1994.
 
There were other places we could visit, but we got hungry, so we decided to have lunch and Halim took us to a house, which is really a restaurant... but you'll never know it's a restaurant because there is no signs or anything that says or even suggest that it's a restaurant. We sat on the floor and ate our fill of rice with steamed fish and prawn fritters and stir fried veggies. The bill came to about RM150.. not bad for 6 persons.



After that, we checked into Le Meridien.. but we were too early. Our rooms weren't ready, so we took a walk across the street to the Filipino Market. I never really like going into this cramped market place where they sell handicraft, pearl, brooches, t-shirts and other souvenirs. Not much changed since the last time I was here. Although, what caught my attention was the frog purses which looked like they were made from real frogs... were they? I did not ask.

When I got back to the lobby of the hotel, about an hour later, our rooms were still not ready. So, we went to the lounge to get our welcome drinks. Fruit juices and my mother-in-law had some tea and biscuits.

When the front desk lady came to tell us that our room is ready, I went to look for our luggage which was loaded onto a trolley when we arrived but it wasn't there. I found it neatly stacked in our room when I got there. Our room faces the sea, and below we can see the swimming pool.


After taking in our spacious rooms (we got two connected rooms), the children and I get into our swimming gears and went to the 2nd floor to dive into the clear waters of the pool. A Mat Salleh couple was in the jacuzzi when we arrived. The minute they left, I climbed over into it and sat in the bubbling pool for awhile....

That night, Halim came and took us to the Fisherman Village seafood restaurant. We got a table not too close to the stage at my request. A cultural performance starts every night at 8pm, Halim told us, and the performers have the habit of pulling diners from the table up to the stage to dance with them. Hence, the requested distance from the stage.

My wife and I went to the front of the restaurant where there were two rows of aquariums (on on top of another) with sea creatures awaiting execution. We chose a fish... kerapu I think... three crabs, a bunch of prawns, and shellfish... We also ordered some Sabah vegetable, to be stir fried.

When they arrive, we realized that we ordered too much......

But, we manage to finish most of it. Simply because they are so fresh. I ignored all my self-imposed diet restrictions and dug into everything, loving every bite, especially those prawns. Wish I can have some now.

Then we got the bill.. RM370.... We made a resolution... fast food only for the rest of our vacation.

Back at the hotel... I fell asleep almost the second I lay my head on the soft fluffy pillows... Tomorrow, we go to the islands...

******************************************************************************

KK has a certain scent. I can't really describe it... like an old building.. musty.. That's the morning air smelled like to me, as we stepped out of the lobby of Le Meridien and go next door to the mamak restaurant for breakfast. Le Meridien provides breakfast of course, but at RM47 per head, and the mamak shop so close, we declined and made some savings in the hotel bills.

Restoran Mars offers the same fare as any other mamak shop plus fried stuff (rice or noodles) or Soto (which tastes like a normal soup, but nice anyway).

Then we went back up to our rooms and got into our swimming trunks and suits, and wear our normal clothes over them. Hisham, the owner of the tour agency we engaged for this trip, was already waiting for us outside the lobby to take us to the jetty.  At the jetty (behind Shangri-La in Tanjung Aru) we were allocated our snorkeling masks and life jackets. My son and I didn't get flippers... they don't have it in our size.

I've always enjoyed boat rides to the islands. The wind in our faces, the bumpy ride as we skimmed over waves and wakes of another passing boat... I love it.

We docked at Manukan Island and we were awed by the number of fishes swimming around the jetty area. I have been here before some ten years ago.. although, there seemed to be just as many fish (in number and variety) I saw also there isn't much corals left and there's a lot more garbage...


We found a spot, near a "Beware of Jellyfish" sign, plopped our stuff, stripped to our swimming suits, put on the mask and walked gingerly into the clear water.

We had to swim quite a distance away from the shore before we can see the fishes... but, we enjoyed it.. a new experience for my children. My daughter said her official favorite activity is now snorkeling.

Time flew quickly, and we got our stuff together and go back to the jetty so we can have our barbeque lunch...at Pulau Sapi. This was part of the whole package (boat ride, snorkel gear and barbeque lunch) for RM95 per head.... cheap or expensive.. I don't know...

The last time I came to Pulau Sapi, the island was almost deserted... but when we got to Pulau Sapi, it was crowded.  And lunch wasn't ready yet, so my children and I decided to go snorkeling.. again. The corals and fishes are better here, but looking at the number of people there that day, I think, Pulau Sapi will soon follow the fate of Manukan.

After lunch, we had a choice of going snorkeling again or go back to the main land. We were tired and full by then, so we decide to go back to the hotel.

Got back at the hotel around 2:30pm... See my mother-in-law safely back to the room, then we went back down to the swimming pool. Another hour of splashing around, since we have the pool to ourselves, except for another mat salleh couple working on a tan by the poolside.. then back up to our room, a nice shower and a refreshing nap.... (sigh) this is the life...


*********************************************************************************

Dinner was either KFC or McD. KFC won by simple majority. We walk around Center Point, bought some more food stuff at the supermarket and then pack KFC for dinner back at the room.

I thought that was the end of day 2, but my wife, insisted that I go see the seafood offerings behind the Filipino Market. I wasn't too excited about it. Our driver did not recommend it. We went anyway... I was a little curious.

It's just like a night market. There's the section selling vegetables, fruits, food (fried noodles, kue teaw etc) then there's the seafood grill section. There were six or seven rows of long tables and chairs, the head of each are semi grilled seafood laid out to be chosen by the throngs of people from all over the world. Yes, there were mat sallehs and Japanese and Koreans and Taiwanese and Hongkys (I think but they didn't look local). On the menu are basically fish and prawns and squids, from the normal sized ones to giants costing as must as RM40 a piece.

We bought one squid and one medium sized prawn, brought it back to the room.. what's left of it.. since we ate a major portion of it while walking around the rest of the night market.

End of day two....

*********************************************************************************

Here we are, on the trail up to the highlands of Sabah. Our first stop is a small road side town which I didn't catch the name. It's the compulsory stopping area for all tourists going our way, either to Kinabalu Park, in Kundasang or all the way to the tip of Borneo Island.

From this spot, we can see clearly the peak of Mount Kinabalu. And, that's all we can do... accept maybe relieve ourselves since we are not sure where or when we'll get to the next washrooms.

Eric said half and hour stop, but after fifteen, we got restless and call Eric on his cell to get us (since he when off after dropping us at the viewing point).. but he was in the toilet...

Off again, and one hour later, Eric stopped at a village called Kampong Luanti Baru. Our first real activity for the day - the Tagal... or Fish Spa.. or feeding your feet to fishes. I've seen these fish spa. Where you put your feet into fish tanks and and let cute little fishies nibble on them.


We didn't see any fish tanks. We bought tickets; RM5 for adults and RM2 for Aiman. And some fish food... We walk up the path alongside the Moroli River, and wait our turn. After about 15 minutes of waiting and hearing screams coming from the other side of the fence separating the waiting area and the river, we took off our shoes and walked towards the river bank. And, there there were... a swarm of huge fishes splashing and writhing in the water, waiting for our feet. I was a little unsure.. but, the guide said to put the fish food in your hand and submerge your hand under water near your feet. I did that and these big fishes started to viciously attack my hand... like piranhas.. except that they don't seem to have any teeth.... It felt like a thousand kisses... My wife couldn't get herself in the water, but my youngest son... well, the fishes love him..


That was fun.. just 15 fifteen minutes though, before the lady with the bullhorn told us time's up.

After Luanti, Eric drove us back down to Poring.We had lunch and then took a jungle trek to the canopy walk. To get to the starting point of the walk took some climbing, but we all made it, even my 76 year old mother-in-law... bless her. We had fun here too. The walk way was just one plank wide and the drop was 30 feet. The first two bridges was ok.. but the third one gave that feeling you get in the groin area when you look down from a height...

Wish I took a picture from the the middle of the bridge but it was shaking about too much...

That's was the last activity for the day. We were supposed to stop by Kinabalu Park, but the traffic got really bad and by the time we got there.. it was closed. So we went back to the hotel....

That night, my wife said she wants to eat at the night market again. We went there, to the same stall we went the night before, took one medium fish, one small fish, ten small squids and a couple of medium sized prawns... it was enjoyable but  I can't help wondering would we eat here if the lighting was better.... Anyway, the bill was RM88. Boleh laaa....

Back to the hotel.. I showered because I was smelling like grilled fish. Besides, I love the showering at the hotel... using the message option on the shower head.

Sleep came easily....

********************************************************************************
Final day... we had breakfast in the room, pack our things.... hang around for a while, take some pictures.. then called the bellboy for our luggage, paid the hotel bill and call a cab.

Everytime I come to KK, I have a hard time leaving it. I don't know why. There just something about this place that begs you to stay. I know a few of my friends who've come here and stayed on. One friend even got married here to a local kadazandusun lady.... his wife in KL do not want to share so they got divorced because he wants to stay in KK.

I can't speak for the rest of my family.. but, I'd come here again... and again and again...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A letter from my mother

Today, on the first day of Ramadhan in the 52nd year of my life, while I was rummaging through some old stuff, I came across a letter written to me by my mother, folded and enveloped into a prescription drug package. My mother taught herself to write in Rumi, so some words are quite difficult to figure out. She was probably more comfortable writing in Jawi, but she knew her son is useless at reading it. The letter was not dated, but I would say it was written circa 1985, the year that I dropped out of UTM. The letter was an angry letter, as angry as my dearest mother would be. I cannot remember the occasion that warranted such letter, but I think I must have said something that hurt her. She wrote that I should have told her or father (unlikely) or my brothers and sisters that I am having difficulties in my studies. She wrote that I have ostracized myself from my family, and she understood that I did this because I do not want to be any more a burden to my parents and my sibli

Humanity: from the lucid mind of a Covid19 infested person.

 Hello... It's me, again. I don't know how anybody is going to read this, because I have deactivated my Facebook account... my Instagram too. It's interesting to see people's reactions when I told them this. Mostly, it's a sharp intake of breath and a sympathetic "why".  I guess they assumed I was cyberbullied into deactivation. No... It was a mistake. I should never have even registered for any socmed (social media for those uninitiated). I hate it, people sharing their lives, what they eat and drink and where they were eating and drinking, how far they have walked or run or cycled, with whom they are doing things, who they met today or yesterday, where they are now in the world, what their cute babies or cats are doing, what plants they are planting, what fruits they have harvested... I don't really want to know about what you guys are doing with your lives unless I am responsible (partly) for bringing you into this horrible place. For that, my child

I love/hate MCO

The vaccines are here... spelling the beginning of the end of Covid19... or at least we hope so. But, it is really just hope upon hope. Because, as vaccines are being spread (by health workers) in most parts of the world, we still hear of lockdowns happening here and there. And the virus is mutating. New strains are being discovered, having higher infectivity. I guess Covid wants to live just like any other living creature. My employer has announced that beginning this month (April 2021) everybody must come to work in the office. No more working from home. Which is OK. I mean (in case my boss reads this blog) I love my job but dread going through the traffic jams in the morning and then again in the evening. I miss the easy smooth drive to and from work during the MCO when I had to come to the office to sign some physical documents, but even during the CMCO and RMCO, when we are allowed to move around a bit more, the traffic build-up at roadblocks gave me a glimpse of things to come wh